Join a small group or Bible study this fall. Lots of opportunities are available to connect with other members and friends of the church along your faith journey.
What if I told you that we are not just 2,000 years removed from how the earliest followers of Jesus ate the meal we call Communion, but more like light years? Based on a book he’s just finished writing, Dr. Mike Graves will lead an exploration of three key dynamics of the Jesus meal: intimacy, inclusion, and joy. We’ve celebrated some joyful Communion services in our church, but there’s more to learn about their practices back then, and about what it might mean for us now. Led by Dr. Mike Graves.
Don’t Know Much about the Bible – Oct. 3, 10, 17, 24, 7:00 p.m.
If there ever was a time when everyone attending Sunday services knew the Bible well, it’s no longer the case. Surveys indicate we are better at naming the four members of The Beatles than the names of the four Gospels. Even entering seminarians admit to lacking basic knowledge of the biblical texts. In this introduction, we will explore the library of documents we call “Bible.” We will get an overview of both testaments and discuss approaches to reading more closely and fully. Led by Dr. Mike Graves.
Faithbook – Women exploring scripture and forming friendships. Come and go as your schedule permits on either Tuesday from 7:00-8:00 p.m. or Wednesday from 9:00-10:00 a.m. in the Youth Center. Led by Carla Aday. Fall session begins Sept. 19/20 and concludes Nov. 14/15. Fall session includes “How to Read the Bible like a Seminary Professor” Oct. 31, Nov. 7, and Nov. 14 with Dr. Mike Graves.
Wednesday Morning Bible Study – Study of Acts, led by Joe Walker. Everyone is welcome. Wednesday mornings beginning Sept. 13 from 9:30-10:30 a.m. in Room 302. No per-requisite. Textbook: $10 in The Well.
Wednesday Evening Bible Study – Led by Joe Walker. Everyone is welcome. Meets first and third Wednesdays evenings from 6:30-8:00 p.m. in Room 202 beginning Sept. 20. No per-requisite. Textbook: $25.
Meditation – Meditation is offered in our Chapel on Wednesdays at noon. Everyone is welcome. The session begins with a brief introduction “How to Meditate” that leads into five minutes of silent meditation. A five-minute period of facilitated reflection on meditation follows the silence. Those who are able may choose to stay for a 20 minute period of silence.
Prayer Ministry – All are welcome for a time of quiet prayer in which we lift up the joys and concerns of our congregation and our world. No experience necessary. All prayers are held in confidence. Ongoing Thursdays, 10:00 a.m., Room 202. The third Thursday of each month we meet in a retirement community.
Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) and Al-Anon – These support groups meet daily in our building. AA is a fellowship of individuals who have had a drinking problem. Al-Anon welcomes friends and family members of problem drinkers to share their experiences and learn how to apply principles of the Al-Anon program to their individual situations. Call 816-333-4917 for meeting days and times.
FaithPub – Led by Mike Graves. Group for men of all ages. Begins Thur., Sept. 21, 7:00 p.m. at The Well (7421 Broadway St., Kansas City, MO), where participants can enjoy a beverage, appetizer or light meal, and connect with other men looking for sacred conversations around stuff that matters.
Running/Walking Groups – Run or walk with us at either or both weekly gatherings. Runners on Tuesdays at 6:00 a.m. with Lara Schopp and walkers on Tuesdays at 5:30 p.m. with Carla Aday. Groups will share a word of scripture, prayer or devotion prior to a three-mile route. Sept. 19, 26 and Oct. 3.
TED Talks – Listen to a relevant TED Talk as a group and engage in group discussion. Facilitated by Craig Doty. Third Sunday of the month, Sept. 17, Oct. 15, Nov. 19 and Dec. 17. at 10:00 a.m., Youth Center (Rm. 205).
Green Team – This group of volunteers cares for the church grounds. Meets at church Mondays at 5:30 p.m. and Tuesdays at 8:30 a.m.
Connections – For mid-20s-mid-40s. Come, meet and talk with others who are living similar life experiences in order to get to know others better. This gathering will listen to a brief podcast, video, or lecture followed by small-group guided discussion. Fall series: Oct. 8, 15, and 22 at 10:00 a.m. in rooms 302 and 304.
- Children’s Choir – Open to all children grades Kindergarten-5. Rehearse weekly from 10:45-11:15 a.m., starting on Sun., Aug. 20.
- Youth Choir – Open to youth in grades 6-12. Rehearse weekly at 12:00-12:45 p.m. starting Sun., Aug. 20
Adult Choirs and Ensembles – Director: Paul Tucker. Contact: Dina Pannabecker Evans [email protected] or 816-381-9247
- Men’s Ensemble – An occasional ensemble, rehearsing 3-4 times in anticipation of a scheduled Sunday morning anthem. Rehearsals will be on Tuesday evenings, when announced.
- Women’s Ensemble – An occasional ensemble, rehearsing 3-4 times in anticipation of a scheduled Sunday morning anthem. Rehearsals will be on Tuesday evenings, when announced.
- Chancel Choir – Weekly rehearsals starting Wed., Aug. 16 from 7:30-9:00 p.m. with weekly commitment to present an anthem at the 11:00 a.m. service.
- Celebration Singers – Weekly rehearsals starting Mon., Aug. 7 from 7:00-8:00 p.m. Sing anthems on the second and fourth Sundays of the month during the 9:00 a.m. service.
- Country Club Singers – Auditioned chamber ensemble with weekly rehearsals starting Wed., Aug. 16 from 6:30-7:30 p.m. Sunday morning anthems scheduled in consultation with singers, approximately every six weeks. May sing at multiple services in one morning.
- Amani Choir – featuring the combined voices from Della Lamb Community Services’ Refugee Resettlement Program, members from our church and members of other faith traditions. Rehearsals are Tuesdays at 7:00 p.m., beginning Sept. 19 at KCU Alumni Center, Independence Ave and Woodland. Open to all who wish to sing. Contact: Barbara George at 816-381-9251 or [email protected]
- Bell Choir – Rehearsals start Mon., Aug. 28 at 6:00 p.m. Director and contact: Paul Tucker, [email protected] or text to 817-846-1000
- Orffestra – Percussion ensemble using Orff instruments. Often plays with other instruments and/or voices. No previous musical experience required. Rehearses weekly starting Wed., Sept. 6 at 6:30 p.m. Director and contact: Tepring Crocker, [email protected] or 913-908-7785