History Timeline

Lara Schopp Adult-ministry, Children & Families, Congregational Care, Connect, Special Events, Uncategorized, Youth Ministry

A brief look at Country Club Christian Church’s first 100 years.

History Timeline

1919
November 1, 1919

A New Church

A New Church

The first meetings under Frank Bowen’s direction to organize a new church are held in the Brookside Hotel (now Crestwood Condos). Bowen was the official Disciples of Christ “missionary” to the greater Kansas City area and the Director of the Kansas City Missionary Society in the early 20th century.

1920
October 17, 1920

A First Gathering

A First Gathering

60+ individuals meet in Community Hall, the second floor of the Brookside Building; Dr. George Hamilton Combs, recently retired from Independence Boulevard Christian Church, is suggested as minister to the new church. A number of the Charter members are transfers from Independence Boulevard Church, part of a movement south into ...

1921
January 2, 1921

The First Sermon

The First Sermon

Dr. Combs preaches first sermon to the group, “Our Program.”

February 27, 1921

The First Board

Church Board, chaired by Langston Bacon is approved by the membership; first official Board meeting held on March 2, 1921, with $855.53 in the Treasury.

March 23, 1921

Ward Parkway

Special Building Site Committee reports on two possible sites for the new church, both on Ward Parkway.  

April 10, 1921

Meeting at Community Hall

Meeting at Community Hall

 Thirty-four members meet with J.C. Nichols at Community Hall, and then reconvene at 61st and Ward Parkway to inspect the potential site.

April 17, 1921

61st and Ward Parkway

At the close of the service on Sunday morning, the motion to approve the purchase of the lot at 61st Street and Ward Parkway was unanimously approved by the congregation. The purchase cost was $24,000. It had formerly been used as a military training camp during WWI as well as ...

July 25, 1921

A Contract Is Signed

A contract for the first building unit, now the education section of the building, is signed.

August 1, 1921

Ground Breaking

Dr. Combs announces to a small group of children standing near him: “Children, this church is for you. YOU throw out the first shovelful.” 

1922
May 7, 1922

The First Section

The First Section

First completed section (essentially the education wing today) is ready for use; the room is noisy and crowded, used for worship and Sunday School; the men cut a hole in the ceiling so they could have a place to meet.

1923
April 17, 1923

The Sanctuary

A contract was signed to build the present sanctuary. At that time, it represented an investment of $525,000

October 1, 1923

Minister of Christian Education Hired

First professional Minister of Christian Education, Paul Rains, hired.

1925
January 1, 1925

Chimes

Chimes

Ella Clark Loose gifts the church with a full set of chimes.

1926
January 24, 1926

Sanctuary Dedicated

Sanctuary Dedicated

The newly constructed Sanctuary is dedicated.

June 1, 1926

Business Manager Hired

First full time Business Manager hired, Charles “Charlie” Rouse; he will remain for almost 40 years, overseeing the administration and record keeping of the church. 

September 3, 1926

Newsletter Established

First issue of The Country Club Christian newsletter.

1942
January 1, 1942

Dr. Warren Grafton

Dr. Warren Grafton

Dr. Combs retires. He is succeeded by Dr. Warren Grafton (pictured) who will lead the Church through World War II and a major renovation to the Sanctuary. Dr. Grafton resigns in 1953, accepting a new pulpit in Detroit; he is succeed by Dr. Ewart Wyle, who resigns in 1959.

1960
January 1, 1960

Dr. Lawrence Bash

Dr. Lawrence Bash

Dr. Lawrence Bash is installed as Senior Minister.

1971
January 1, 1971

Schantz Organ Dedicated

Schantz Pipe Organ dedicated in appreciation of Gladys Combs.

1976
June 1, 1976

Christian Community Camp

Christian Community Camp in Colorado begins.

1979
March 1, 1979

Dr. Eugene Brice Called

Dr. Eugene Brice Called

Upon the retirement of Dr. Bash, Dr. Eugene Brice becomes Senior Minister.

1988
September 1, 1988

First Female Minister

First Female Minister

The church’s first female minister, Rev. Carla Aday, was appointed Minister of Singles.

1991
January 1, 1991

Dr. Robert Cueni

Dr. Robert Cueni

Dr. Robert Cueni becomes Senior Minister.

2000
September 10, 2000

Zappia Sculpture Dedicated

Zappia Sculpture Dedicated

In 1971, church members Oscar Nelson and Don and Lucille Armacost purchased “The Last Supper” as a gift to the church. After being on loan to other Kansas City institutions for nearly 30 years, a permanent display was created at the church. The sculpture sits in front of a stone ...

2003
January 1, 2003

Dr. Glen Miles Called as Senior Minister

Dr. Glen Miles Called as Senior Minister

Dr. R. Glen Miles becomes Senior Minister.

2005
March 1, 2005

Mission Trip to South Africa

Mission Trip to South Africa

The first of three adult mission trips to South Africa is commissioned. The team works to build an AIDS hospice. 

2011
July 1, 2011

Tower Renovation Begins

Tower Renovation Begins

Work to renovate structural and exterior aesthetic issues with the church’s iconic tower begins.

2013
June 2, 2013

First LGBTQ Minister Ordained

First LGBTQ Minister Ordained

Rev. Justin Zeigler is the first LGBTQ minister ordained at Country Club Christian Church.

2017
April 7, 2017

Rev. Carla Aday Called

Rev. Carla Aday Called

Rev. Carla Aday is called as the church’s first female Senior Minister.